The Baily Homestead
The white building in this picture was built by Joseph Baily in 1835. It was the
first frame house built in northwest Indiana. Prior to 1835, the Bailys lived
in a log cabin, parts of which can be seen in two other log buildings nearby.
The kitchen, just to the left of the main house in this picture, is one of the
buildings made from the logs of the original homestead. Bailey built his business
by trading with the French fur trappers and the Indians.
Location: Between US12 and US20 on Mineral Springs Road in Chesterton, Indiana